Sunday, March 31, 2013

Prior Hiatus


   Ariel is awesome, but I bet you guys already knew that. Awesome Ariel - that's how I like to think of her. One reason she's so awesome is that she's been the sole poster here for the past month and with nothing but love and grace for me throughout. That's why she's my best friend. Are you jealous? You should be.

   I'm sorry. I hate breaking commitments, and if nothing else I had committed to posting about the Old Testament each week. I'm afraid I'm terribly behind on that. The last piece I wrote was about Exodus and here we are this week on Joshua and Judges. I'm sorry. I'll have the next Old Testament post up next week because I haven't actually started this week's reading yet (whoops!). And here is something else in the meantime.




   Our friend Meaghan went to a conference in Austin back at the beginning of March. After talking with her, these have been some of my thoughts:


Being missional doesn't come from wanting to make non-believers a project. It doesn't come even from wanting to follow the Biblical mandate to "go to the nations". It comes from a love for people. It comes from having your life changed and wanting others to experience the same thing. It comes from being so filled with love that you're overflowing with it and want to share it. It comes from seeing broken people and wanting to walk alongside them.

That's what Jesus did.

When we love and serve them genuinely because we want to, not because we're wanting to check off some religious boxes, that's when people want to know how and why. That's when they see who God is and want to find that in their own lives.

That's how Jesus did it.

He loved and served and healed and spent quality time with people. He didn't drop a bunch of church-y words and make people uncomfortable by telling them how much they needed him before they even knew who he was and what he was all about. Jesus isn't physically here anymore to do miracles and stuff for people. He reveals himself through us. Through our actions and relationships. Through the love that we have for other people.



Happy Easter everyone!
Courtney


No comments:

Post a Comment