Wednesday, December 5, 2012

God Over Country



Living in the Bible Belt

    So, Courtney and I both live in Central Texas, which is located in what is commonly referred to as the “Bible Belt”. I’m not ashamed of this. I’m super proud and grateful for it, because as much as I hate to admit it, I’m not sure how my faith would have turned out had I not been surrounded by so many strong believers in the Way. However, there are still a load of problems faced in this belt, and we as it’s inhabitants have to decide how to face these challenges (if at all). Unfortunately, I think the common approach is: not at all. Shove them under the rug. This is what Court and I are challenging ourselves and you with; to face them head on when we meet them, to proclaim our beliefs and the Truth, and to live not for the people we are surrounded by (way easier said then done), but for our savior and redeemer and lover, Christ!! So let’s talk about some of these challenges shall we?

   A really, really common phrase we hear in this geographical area is that one should “pull himself up by his own bootstraps”. Often when someone has accomplished such a feat, they are praised. On the other hand, those who find themselves struggling are met with the mentality of “We’re not going to help, because this is America, and you can get up on your own” (said in a twangy southern accent). There are a couple of problems with this:
   1. To claim one has done this (as in gained success on their own) is an incredibly arrogant and proud statement to make, neither of which leave much room for Christ within the heart. Claiming this is to claim that one has achieved their station and success on their own, with no one’s help. What many fail to hear is the fact that included in that “no one” is the Lord. Southerners are obscenely proud and like to take credit for everything they have done. So what happens when we do so is the most important contributor of all, the entire reason for the individual’s very existence, is left out!
   2. The reaction to an individual who holds such a claim self success is praise. So the individual is taking credit for the work of the Lord and giving Him none of the praise, and the respondent is endorsing this credit. Thus, this culture encourages, condones, and praises arrogance, little by little squeezing out the room for the only One who really has any reason to be arrogant (but who, it should be noted, is the ideal example of  humility). "For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you" Romans 12:3
   
    Another problem inherent among us is the fact that many church-goers go for the social aspect, rather than what it’s intended for: the coming together of the Bride and Body of Christ to celebrate and worship Him, and to serve and love one another. Instead, many go to say they went, and pick where they go (i.e. many of the mega churches throughout the area) to be able to say they go there. They want to meet people (maybe even a significant other), to be recognized for going, to be able to say they are “good” Christians (but are instead perhaps what is referred to as “Sunday Christians”), and to be respected because they go somewhere with a good and famous reputation. I’m not saying mega churches are bad. I’m not saying it’s bad to meet others at church. In fact, we’re supposed to build relationships and brother and sisterhoods with those we meet. But, going should not be for show, as it too often is. “Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them" Matthew 6:1

    The largest challenge I see, and am most often approached with, is that of giving to the poor. This isn’t just a Bible belt problem (as really none of these are*), but is a problem we have brewed in America out of, once again, arrogance and pride. The idea of giving to the poor is not ignored; it’s literally frowned upon! What has been engrained into us is “We live in America. They can get a job. They don’t need to live off me. I earned my money. It’s mine. I don’t owe them anything”. What absolutely none of these responses consider is what Jesus had to say on the topic. Matthew 25:40 tells us “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’”. That’s literally Jesus talking. 1 John 3:17 says “If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.”. How can we claim to know the Lord and love Him if we hoard what He gives us? Which feeds into 1 Corinthians 13:3, “If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.”. (Courtney's going to post more specifically on this next Sunday. My point: Stay tuned!!)

     What is our mission as Christians? To live good, moral lives? To be nice to people? To go to church on Sundays? No, although when the motivation behind them is right, then these are all fantastic. No, our mission as Christians, as Christ followers, is to bring others along with us. To show and spread His unconditional love so that more and more souls will join us in eternity. Lord has been separated from His beloved children by their sin and wants desperately to be with them again. He desires for us to help Him rekindle that broken relationship. So what we need to do to get started on this is to stop thinking it’s all about us, stop thinking everything is ours and that we don’t need to share, and focus on someone other than ourselves! I think once we get our focus right, these challenges will become a bit less challenging for us.

      There is a reason we are here. It’s not to make money. It’s not to have a big house and a fancy car and to keep our possessions to ourselves. It’s not to find someone to marry or to have children. Once the reason (the Great Commission) becomes a reality to us, once it sinks in and we embrace it and chase it, then these “problems” won’t matter anymore! "Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. Then Jesus came to them and said, 'All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.'” Matthew 28:16-20. What do you think? Are these issues to you? What other issues do you face as an inhabitant of the Bible Belt (or anywhere for that matter)? Talk to us! Let’s help one another erase these problems from our lives and see the bigger picture.

I love you!
Ariel


*These problems are faced by Christians all over. I write this because it’s not ok that they are so prominent in the “Bible Belt”. If this area stood true to it’s name (which should be a name of honor), then we would not struggle with these, but would be more like the early churches in the sense of breaking bread together and sharing with one another. It’s about time we act like a Bible belt.

"The entire law is summed up in a single command: 'Love your neighbor as yourself'" Galatians 5:14






2 comments:

  1. Love this post! I have been saying this for so long! I truthfully don't mind mega churches because I feel like if someone hasn't been to church in a long time they won't feel pointed out. What I mean is for example I haven't been to church in a long time because I was never brought up with a strong religious background. In my mind I would start at a large church because I wouldn't feel watched because how can watch hundreds of people every week (except God of course ;))
    Back to my point the focus should be on God and others....as you said, so YAY!
    -Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shannon!!!! I definitely see your point. I wasn't knocking mega churches in any way. I go to one back home! My point was, as YOU said, that our focus needs to remain on the right things at all times, and often times that can get lost for the sake of name dropping. Thanks so much for telling us your viewpoint!! Also I love you. That is all.

    ReplyDelete