Sunday, December 23, 2012

Random Post After A Long Drive Home

So I drove to my parents home yesterday for Christmas. It’s only a four hour drive, but quite a lot can happen on these drives I’ve found. Allow me to share with you the thoughts that went on in my mind (brace yourself. You’ve been warned). I should note that for the majority of it, I was praying about what to write about for this post...


My drive began with a cd I made (I don’t want to toot my own horn but, toot toot, I make awesome mix cd’s). So, I started my drive by singing so loud and so much that my voice hurt. Let’s be honest. You simply cannot listen to Jesus Culture without shout-singing. So, that was fun.

Humility.

Listening to Dance With Me by Jesus Culture (one of my absolute favorites) I daydreamed about dancing with Jesus. O I’m sorry. You didn’t already know I’m a weirdo? You’re going to start to find that out if you keep reading this blog. Courtney’s very normal though, so you can find comfort in that





Humility.

What music would I get if I had an itunes card that never ran out of money? I couldn’t really comprehend the vast amount of music I would get but, needless to say, I’d be buying music every day for a loooong time.

I hope my husband (someday... if he exists) sings to me like a mixture of Newton Faulkner, Joe Purdy, and John Mayer. And I hope he sings to me alll the time. With his guitar. 

This prompted me to daydream about being married some day, and what I hope my husband is like. I really hope I’m not the only girl who does this.... Anyway, he’ll have a nice thick beard, and dreadlocks, and glasses, maybe a bit of a pudgy tummy, and he’ll wear button down shirts with his sleeves rolled to his elbows, and he’ll sing and play guitar and the harmonica, and he’ll be so sold out to God that I can always look to him and find Christ, and he’ll think I’m the greatest lady to ever live. That last one’s a bit of a stretch, but that’s ok because it’s a dream.

Humility.

What the heck am I going to write about?

Humility.

Exclaims “CARROOOTS!!!! YES!!!”. I packed snacks for the ride, including grapes, carrots, triscuits, and fruit snacks. I had eaten everything else, so I went for the fruit snacks when my hand felt something else... carrots! Clever little me had only eaten half and then put the rest back in the bag so I could save the good stuff for later. I was a very happy camper at this point.

Humility.


Munches on my carrots, and ponders the fact that I love crunchy foods. Carrots, snap peas, celery, bell peppers, crackers.... you name it. What does this say about me? Can you tell something about a person’s personality by the texture of food they like? I don’t really like mushy food. Why is this?

This prompted me to think about my oral fixation, as Freud would call it. Something about how often I was or liked to be fed as an infant. I haven’t left that stage, so now I’m orally fixated. I love to munch on things, drink things, chew gum, suck on lollypops, kiss (sorry. That’s awkward), smoke cigars.... What does this say about me? I’m such a weirdo.....

HUMILITY!!!

THE HECK?! This dang word had been popping into my head all stinkin day, but nothing ever came along with it! The fact of the matter is, I am entirely not humble. I’m arrogant, greedy, and self-centered. So humility is something I very much desire in my life. I think about it allll the time. How can I be more humble? How can I get rid of Ariel, and replace her with Christ? Here’s why I’m having a hard time with that: I’m so dang arrogant that I don’t want to get rid of Ariel. It’s incredibly frustrating!! But how on earth is HE going to shine through, when I’m so busy thinking about making myself shine?? Here’s what I need to do: BE. PATIENT. Another something that I’m just not good at, although I’m getting better. Why? Because of GOD. He’s the only reason I have any good qualities to begin with. He is helping me to be more patient, less bitter (specifically towards men, who as of late I’ve basically hated save for Daddy and my brothers), less angry (something I’ve always struggled with), and, especially recently, less proud. So maybe what I need to do to work toward a more humble character is simply to acknowledge God in not only my accomplishments but in all of my endeavors. Yes, I was able to pay for gas to get home when I didn’t think I’d be able to. That’s because our Provider provided for me, just like He promises He will. Yes I painted that for you. The only reason it looks nice is because God moved my hand, because I have zero artistic talent. And maybe the biggest thing I need to do is stop listening to myself, who might, in fact, not actually be me. Maybe it’s some loser named lucy (remember, we’re not capitalizing his name) who tries to tell me that everything I do is wrong. That I’m a selfish fool who is still being arrogant even when I give it all back to God. Maybe I just need to proclaim His promise over me, and listen only to Him. Or maybe, most certainly, I should have stopped thinking about myself and thinking about foolish things on the drive home and just prayed. Without ceasing. Maybe when I want to talk about me (which is too often) I should talk about Him and to Him. Maybe that’s what He was trying to tell me during that whole drive....



This is one of my greatest struggles: being humble. Is it this hard for you? How do you deal with it? Do you have other struggles you face? Tell us about them. It’s always nice to not feel alone in these things :) Thanks for reading my crazy rant! I love you!
Ariel




Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.
Philippians 2:3

For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgement, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.
Romans 12:3

Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
Colossians 3:12



P.S. Here’s the soundtrack to my drive:
You Are by Colton Dixon
Long Way Home by Steven Curtis Chapman
Dance With Me by Jesus Culture
Let It Rain by Jesus Culture
You Won’t Relent by Jesus Culture
Where You Go I Go by Jesus Culture
Old Pine by Ben Howard
Tenuousness by Andrew Bird
I Need Something by Newton Faulkner
Teardrop by Newton Faulkner
I Would Die For You by Matt Walters
On Top Of The World by Imagine Dragons
Radioactive by Imagine Dragons
Isn’t Love by Joe Purdy
I Love The Rain The Most by Joe Purdy
Losing You by John Butler
Ocean by John Butler

No comments:

Post a Comment